Tuesday, June 23, 2009

British Raj, the Pig Kingdom, Weddings, Chillies, and Other Associated Phenomena

Two women in the village of Dantli ki Dhani using a rotary blade to cut chara - cattle feed.


Some members of the youth group, children, and women in Dantli ki Dhani


Connection to Math and Science Center: upon my request, John McConnell and Maurice Moore of the Western Colorado Math and Science Center (my previous place of employment/experimentation) have sent me a box containing some of the Center’s patented activities, including alkaseltzer rockets, electroscopes, and oil and water (and other things that I don’t know yet). I will do some experiments with the NGO workers’ kids, as I have played and talked with them much and they are quite dear to me. It is wonderful that this connection between my previous math and science education work and my current development work in India could be made. I owe a great debt of gratitude to John, who has provided the materials and Global Priority shipping from the Center free of cost. As always, he is showing his commitment to math and science education for all. I know the kids will love it as there are NO science facilities, nor is there any science equipment in the village areas, so all of this will be fresh and stimulating. I will definitely take pictures as they set of their rockets, get those packing peanuts in the air, and watch the coloured bubbles come up through the oil. I can’t wait to see the looks on their faces. Be on the lookout for this in the future. Once again, a wonderful connection made between the Center in Colorado and kids I love in India. Just so meaningful.

Illness and frustration: So, the last week (Tuesday June 9th –Sunday June 14th) or so has been a bit frustrating. I went to Jaipur to get three things: an electricity/voltage converter so I could use my photo printer, some malaria prophylaxis, and an internet connection (the USB unit had arrived and they needed to install it). All were a complete failure. Couldn’t get a voltage converter, got the wrong medication from the medical shop guy (who was either trying to rip me off, or made a huge honest mistake; instead of giving me the prophylaxis he gave me an antibiotic that treats all sorts of stomach ailments – not malaria – and something to treat headaches and fever; obviously not malaria prophylaxis), and the internet connection guy never showed up (or to be precise, showed up for 5 minutes, tried once, it didn’t work, told me there was a technical error and he would come back the next day; he didn’t). I went back to the medical shop and did my best to tell the guy how dangerous it was for him to give me the incorrect medication, to which he seemed to give a sly smile of recognition of what he had done (though this could be cultural miscommunication; don’t think so, though). So, I came back to the village, a bit angry that I wasted two days in the city that could have been used productively here in the village. Some good did come out of it though, as I was able to buy badminton supplies for the girls of the new youth water clubs, and brought a train ticket for Shyam-ji, who is going for a training on peace. After getting back and doing work on Thursday, I began to feel quite tired and felt bad that I didn’t want to do work while here in India. Then I realized that I had a fever and was sick. Some of the symptoms approached that of malaria (fever, bodily weakness and pain), so, given my lack of success in getting the prophylaxis and my large number of mosquito bites, I was quite concerned. I talked with my mother and we resolved to pre-emptively start the malaria treatment, lest it get worse. However, by the next day the fever receded and it became clear that I had gotten food poisoning, perhaps from eating cold pizza. I had brought the pizza from the city for Rohitash to try; he also got sick – a cold - so we are the cold-pizza eaters/sick guys. I visited the village hospital and got some basic medicines to relieve the symptoms. I have made a recovery (see village hospital under Indian customs, etc. above for more info) from my stomach ailment and was given malaria prophylaxis – chloroquinine - from the Govt. Of India supplies (it is free to all Indian people – though I think as treatment, not prophylaxis), but now I seem to have caught Rohitash’s cold. So, struggling along a bit, and have been sidelined from any fieldwork. At least I don’t have malaria though, for which I am grateful.

More field workers: As far as I know we are currently looking for more fieldworkers for SVS to carry out this youth water program and otherwise expand SVS’s operations. Discussions are going on about and with various people, so eventually we should get some more staff to help in this critical work.
I have gotten an update on this issue and have been told that we will have two new workers by the end of June. We have put the word out in the villages that we are looking for help and are currently in contact with several people and after an interview process will pick two of them to join the staff. This is a good development.
Another update: we are in conversation with some people in the area who we hope will join up in the next week or so. Indeed, I was here for an interview today, in which Manu emphasized that working for SVS meant being part of a team doing service for the area, which entails being involved in all aspects of the NGO’s work and living most nights at the NGO office. I have also been there as the current staff have tried to persuade people in and around their villages to come work for SVS. I think we’ll have the requisite staff soon.

Microcredit group (SHGs): I went back to the same one that I had attended in May and was once again impressed by the operation. It is a very efficient process of money handling, transfer, etc. for those who need to take loans, pay them back, etc. It is like a mini-bank with no interest taken by the bank. This is one of the cornerstones of SVS’s work, and it is rock solid. Good stuff.

Youth Water Groups:
06/14/09
I have not been able to attend the meeting for a while due to my ailments and cancellations due to weather, but I know that they are progressing well and that discussions are going on with the women of the SHGs on how to attract and incorporate girls into the group. To this end we have purchased some badminton supplies for the girls to use. I hope to see the girls out soon. I will keep you updated on this situation.
Note that sports equipment is in great need here for this program. So, if you have any volleyballs, badminton racquets, footballs (international and American J) or anything else sports related that is going unused and you think you might want to donate, please email me at derek.vigil@gmail.com. Every little bit helps.

06/16/09
Some great work has been going on as of late. Ironically, yesterday in both villages good discussions were had because in both places the volleyball was flat due to being penetrated by a thorn. Hence, there was no volleyball to be played and we instead discussed for a while.
In Kukrela, where I was, we talked very seriously about the meaning of the group in terms of harnessing the powers of the youth for positive change in the area. We emphasized that soon the boys in the group will be the heads of their households and that they should realize their own strength and energy right now. I emphasized that in the US some of the best work and ideas come from the youth. We also had a conversation about the status of below-poverty-line (BPL) families in the area. This was definitely one of the most involved conversation that we have had to date. The members are definitely starting to get comfortable with contributing their thoughts and ideas, which is good.
In Dantli ki Dani, Gopal talked with some of the girls in the village about coming out to the group in the future, to which they agreed. There are about 10-15 girls in the village and they should be able to come out. They talked about how in the groups they will learn new things, like computers, and discuss the problems of the area, and play games. They displayed much interest, so we think they should be coming out soon (I hope today). Anyways, very heartening news on all fronts.

06/24/09
We are working hard to get girls involved in the groups. We think that by the time I go this should happen. We have already purchased the equipment for them and will try to draw them out as soon as possible. This is a slow process due to the deeply ingrained patriarchy in the villages of the Viratnagar block.

On a more upbeat note, we were able to find information online about Rajasthani grammar, language and idiom, jokes, history, and other such things. We were also able to find Rajasthani songs. This was a big victory, as Gopal told me that this information is often not available to the people of the village. I could tell he was greatly overjoyed by finding the music (Gopal loves songs; “songs are my hobby”, as he put it) and was happy about all of the information we found. He got a good laugh out of the jokes. Even better, we got to share it with the youth group in Dantli ki Dhani, and they enjoyed the jokes and seemed to be very interested in the information. Thus, I think the internet is already showing great promise here in the village. I think that the access to information and resources will be a big boon to the youth and will stimulate their creativity and output, making them more likely to learn the computer and hence reap the benefits of this knowledge in today’s computer-driven world. It’s a small start, but I feel there is just so much potential here. I will let you know how this progresses.
Indeed, the interest that the kids have shown in the computer and the internet has been great to see, as well as the interest of the NGO workers. Seeing the joy sweep across their faces as they see and recognize the different parts of their village from an aerial view on Google maps or when they hear a familiar Rajasthani song playing from a governmental cultural website has correspondingly brought great joy to my heart as well. It is amazing how much they appreciate all of the things, big and small, the internet can bring. So much potential for growth, fun, and learning here. My enthusiasm for this work is growing exponentially as I see the positive outcomes. I will definitely push this computer and internet aspect of the project with Manu-ji. The workers are already on board as they are enjoying being able to access information and have already written me a few emails. They definitely see the possibilities for bringing positive growth (educational, personal, economic) and job development to the area if computer and internet literacy becomes widespread (it is basically zero right now). It is amazing what has been learned and accomplished in the matter of a month, and, in the case of the internet, a week. I have no doubt that if we can sustain this part of the program it will be a great boon to the area. This is once again where more computers will be helpful. If any of you are interested in and/or know how to start an old-laptop collection drive, please let me know (derek.vigil@gmail.com). The internet connections are easy enough, if a bit costly, but the computers are sorely needed first.


Website:
06/14/09
Except for photos, the posting of some documents, and a visual history of the organization (for which I need photos), I have pretty much finished the website. I have relied heavily on the input of the workers to inform me of the NGOs past work, its philosophy, and its impact. As I have talked to them about the organizations past work I have become more inspired, as I see how their people-centered, development focus has worked to bring results in this rural area. The site will go through further refinement as I get more input from the workers, but it is pretty much finished. I will try to post a version soon, so that you all can see it, critique it, and give me feedback. Through your feedback I hope to improve the website to attract those who would be interested in our work. If you can help me in this regard, that would be great. In theory we are getting the internet on Monday, though I have obviously learned not to trust the word of the internet guys here (see the frustration and illness post), so after that the website should be up soon. I may put it up without all elements, just so that it is there and you can give me feedback. I will send out the web domain as soon as everything is ready. Your participation is much appreciated.

06/23/09
We have the internet and the necessary photos, so the site should hopefully be up by the end of the week. I’ll let you know. Please check it out when I sent the link. Your input and criticism is much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment