Friday, May 29, 2009

Of BreakFast, Celine Dion, Bird Battles, Dirt is not Dirty, Squatty Potties, and other things

How to make a buffalo friend: don’t try. This is my honest advice. Water buffalos are just too big and strong, and too fearful of anyone but their owners to be made friends of. Only approach one with its owner nearby.


Battles of the birds and other bird watching: So, in India there are all types of birds that are constantly active, fighting, chirping, etc. Indeed, I think that if electricity could be made from the sounds birds make, India would be set.

It is pleasant, I think, the sounds that birds make, so it makes for a peaceful environment in which to work and live. Additionally, it is quite fun to watch the birds. A lot of times they seem to be having turf battles, battles over food and perhaps mates, and who knows what else. There are the same little round birds as there are in the US; there are also parrots and all sorts of other birds that I don’t know their names (in case you’re ever talking with me, never assume that I know the name of any bird, flower, plant, tree, etc. It is highly unlikely that I do). They cluck cluck back and forth, and swoop at each other and fly away and come back and re-group to battle again, all of this every day, much to my amusement. Another bird, quite beautiful, hops on the trees and picks off the ants that are climbing up the tree ever so meticulously. It is a pleasure to watch this bird’s craft; I’ll try to get a photo soon.

Separate from all of these birds is India’s rastripakshi – national bird – the peacock. Peacocks are quite interesting animals. Something I never realized is that they hang out, and, I think, sleep in trees. It is quite stunning to see such a large and a beautiful bird take flight and land in a tree; I have seen them climb to the complete top of a tree in order to sound their magnificent call. An impressive feat, indeed. Their call, if you haven’t heard it, is hard to describe. As Meg has pointed out to me, often times this sound appears like “help”, which is quite amusing. What the peacocks are saying as they call back and forth across vast distances I have no idea. Perhaps imagining this talk has stirred the Indian imagination and led to the peacock’s crowning as the national bird. It is quite fascinating when you are going through your day’s business, and pretty much a nuisance when you are trying to sleep at night and cascade of calls is sounded (“*$%#*#$*#$%#* peacocks”).

No comments:

Post a Comment